If you don’t want to shell out thousands of dollars for an Android phone, the Samsungs Galaxy Star PRO might be a good alternative. Successor to the original Samsung Galaxy Star, the Star PRO offers enhanced features and a little larger screen.
The phone runs on Android 4.1 which may seem a little obsolete considering the version of Android available now, but, with a little help from rooting the Galaxy Star PRO, you can get what users of the latest versions are enjoying. If you root your Samsung Galaxy Star PRO, you can get access to tons of root-only apps, custom ROMs, custom kernels, and many other things that’ll improve the performance as well as the appearance of your phone.
Adding new features isn’t the only thing that root lets you do, it also allows you remove the some of Samsung’s bloatware (stock apps loaded on your phone by the manufacturer) from your phone that you don’t use.
Here’s how to root a Samsung Galaxy Star PRO:
Before You Begin
- This could void the warranty of your device. We won’t be held responsible for anything that happens from doing this tutorial so please proceed at your own risk.
- You must have a Windows based PC to do this procedure.
- You should have Samsung USB drivers installed on your Windows PC.
- This should also flash a custom recovery on your device.
- You should only try this on the GT-S7262 variant of the device. You can find out your variant info by going to Menu > Settings > About phone on your device.
How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Star PRO
To root the device, you’ll first flash a custom recovery on your device and then use that recovery to flash SuperSU which will root your device. Here’s how you can do it:
Downloading Required Files
- Download Odin and save it to your desktop.
- Download CWM Recovery and save it to your desktop.
CWM Recovery (Download link’s available in the first post)
- Download SuperSU and save it to your desktop.
Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Star PRO
- Unzip files from Odin over to your desktop by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Double-click on Odin executable and it’ll launch.
- When Odin launches, click on PDA and select CWM Recovery available on your desktop.
- Checkmark both Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options in the Odin.
- Turn off your device.
- Turn your device back on in download mode by holding down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons together.
- Hit Volume UP when prompted and you should be in download mode.
- Plug in your device to your PC using a USB cable.
- Click on Start in the Odin and it’ll start flashing CWM Recovery on your device.
- Wait for Odin to flash a custom recovery on your device.
- When the Odin’s done flashing recovery, your device should reboot.
There you go!
A custom recovery was successfully flashed on your Samsung Galaxy Star PRO, and here’s how you can use the newly installed recovery to root your device:
Root the Samsung Galaxy Star PRO
- Connect your device to your PC using a USB cable.
- Copy SuperSU .zip from your desktop over to the internal SD card storage on your device.
- When SuperSU is copied, disconnect your device from your PC.
- Turn off your device.
- Reboot your device into recovery mode by holding down Volume UP, Home, and Power buttons together.
- Your device should now be in recovery mode.
- Select install zip from sdcard in the recovery menu.
- Select choose zip from sdcard on the screen that follows.
- Navigate to your internal SD card storage and select SuperSU .zip to be installed on your device.
- Hit Yes when prompted to flash SuperSU on your device.
- Wait for SuperSU to be flashed on your device.
- When it’s done flashing, reboot your device by choosing reboot system now.
- Your device should reboot.
Congratulations, your Samsung Galaxy Star PRO is now rooted!
It’s time to explore what the custom Android world has to offer as your device is now rooted and has a custom recovery. Head over to our Samsung Galaxy Star PRO ROMs page and check out all of the custom ROMs available for your device that you can then flash and enjoy on your device.
Read More: How to Root the Samsung Galaxy Star PRO